[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: HPA 2015: OTT, HDR, 4K and Last Rites for 4:3

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 01:13:43 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> CBS may well have decided, but not in the context of the All Access
> service. My educated guess is that their affiliation agreements
> require this.

My "educated guess" doubts this. My guess is instead that CBS is finding a new
Internet role for local broadcasters, along the lines of what I had proposed
COULD happen.

>> Still, would it not have seemed inane if subscribing to CBS All
>> Access required you to have verifiable OTA reception of the CBS
>> signal at home? That's what TVE does, essentially.
>
> TVE has nothing to do with this.

I'm drawing a parallel, between an obviously absurd rule for verified OTA
reception to be permitted use of CBS All Access, and equally absurd
requirements to have access to TVE content. A reduxio ad absurdum, Craig.

> TVE authentication is not geographically based;

Of course it is. If you cannot subscribe to Comcast, Craig, it is only because
of geography. If you're an apartment dweller with windows facing in the wrong
directions, or a homeowner with similar blocked LOS to satellites, you don't
have access to DBS. And all MVPD subscriber do not have access to all the same
streaming rights. It depends on whatever negotiations between MVPD and the
content owner, and it also depends on details of MVPD tiers and bundles.

http://theplatform.com/solutions/complete-tv-everywhere-solution/

"In addition, TV Service Providers often have different channel lineups and
subscription packages, which means that different content offerings may be
available to different customers at different times."

So this means that your access to this online stream is dictated by artificial,
anachronistic constraints, having nothing to do with the Internet medium.

> Likewise, Dish Sling is not geo limited,

No likewise about it. Sling TV is just like Netflix. Anyone with broadband can
apply. Yes, when/as/if they start carrying the local broadcast stations, we
MIGHT see some complications occurring.

I'm not sure why you go on about reception test for DBS. Most of what you
explain is irrelevant to this issue. If you cannot get DBS at home, you cannot
use TVE from that DBS provider. I said this specifically because you were
attempting to argue that anyone can have a DBS MVPD subscription. Not everyone
has access to DBS, Craig, and this has nothing to do with the additional issue
of DBS carrying your local OTA broadcast stations.

> Unfortunately, we all wear U.S. blinders. We moved to wide
> screen and HD first and are further along with the transition than
> many other areas of the world.

Lucky I get that MHz Networks station, with broadcasts from a bunch of
different countries. The majority have gone 16:9, and now MHz Networks
transmits all of the 12 subchannels in 16:9 (even if a couple of the programs
are pillarboxed). The Euro, Japanese, Korean, Russian, and Chinese programs are
in 16:9. But more than that, most of the other SD subchannels have gone 16:9
too. So when you watch an old widescreen movie, for example, or a not-so-old
show like Ghost Whisperer in syndication, even if transmitted in SD in the
subchannel, they are now 16:9.

Of course this was bound to happen. I'm sure I also indicated this to you,
multiple years ago, and I'm equally sure you disagreed.