[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: Back to Basics: Spectrum 101

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:10:10 -0400

On Jun 24, 2015, at 9:28 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

They're losing A LOT, if they can't dynamically decide how to use this new
spectrum. If "they" refers to telcos, I am almost positive they'd never
contemplate such an idea.

I did not say they could not do as you suggest. As the video Ron posted
explains., there are some situations where the low band spectrum offers
advantages, and good network design will take advantage of this.

But the Telco's seem to be walking away from the WIRED broadband market. DSL is
not competitive; it just lets them continue to skim some profits from the
legacy copper infrastructure. Clearly the Telco's want to compete in the
wireless arena, and it is equally clear they want to compete in the lucrative
MVPD arena.

As I posted yesterday, Verizon has announced they are going to offer a VMVPD
service that will be optimized to reach mobile devices.

AT&T is buying DirecTV, and will likely develop a wireless broadband product to
complement the DBS TV service.

And they need to dedicate one-way broadcast spectrum 24/7 for this? Hardly.

If they try to compete in the MVPD business the answer is YES. I doubt they
would offer hundreds of streams, but something in the range of "17" is quite
possible. And as you suggest, they can also do live events as needed.

Like I said already, the smart move is to expand the cellular network, then
make use of multicast mode **as required**, on those exceedingly rare
occasions where it really does make sense. Even if the 600 MHz spectrum is
not ideal for cellular, as I have repeatedly tried to get across, Craig,
applying it to 2-way cellular is still more in the telco's DNA.

DNA evolves Bert. That is the reality of nature, and critical to the survival
of "species," including businesses.

You are the a champion of all the things that are possible with the Internet, a
"revolution" that has been disrupting legacy business models for more than two
decades. With VOIP, traditional voice services are now just an app, and it is
now commonplace to "Skype" with people anywhere in the world. And VOIP gave the
cable guys an entree into the "landline" phone business. It is not surprising
that the cable companies want to compete for wireless data to support VOIP AND
mobile TV access.

Cable companies have been building out their 2-way broadband service, and
offering telephone service, for many years now, Craig. Why bother mentioning
WiFi?

Because the cable companies ability to compete has been limited to the home or
business where they terminate their wires.

You need to think of WiFi as a very dense mesh wireless network.

When I drive around urban areas and use the web browser on my phone, it alerts
me to WiFi networks I might be able to connect to - often five or six in any
given area. We use WiFi extensively at work, and it's hard to go to a
restaurant or business now that does not offer WiFi.

Ron asked us to listen to the CEO of T-Mobile rant about spectrum. T-Mobile is
innovating in other areas including WiFi handoff or VoLTE.

http://www.lightreading.com/mobile/carrier-wifi/t-mobile-turns-up-volte-to-wifi-handoff/d/d-id/710774

Both iOS and Android now support volte-to-wifi-handoff. And the cable companies
are preparing to use this technology to compete with the Telco's in the
wireless telephony business.

And everyone is trying to expand into new businesses that leverage The IOT -
Internet of things. Cox is running ads here in Gainesville for a new home
security product.

http://www.asecurelife.com/comcast-home-security-vs-cox-vs-att-vs-time-warner/

The cable companies have essentially already become telcos, and the FCC has
wisely decided to make that formal, by mandating net neutrality on them too!

And the Telco's are becoming MVPDs...