[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: Back to Basics: Spectrum 101

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 01:28:48 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Why broadcast LTE? Why would a telco, having spent the last
century honing its 2-way service skills, suddenly want to
dedicate spectrum to one-way broadcast use? Why would a
telco, brought up on charging customers for the net capacity
each customer uses, lose this level of resolution by switching
to one-way broadcast?

They are not losing anything Bert.

They're losing A LOT, if they can't dynamically decide how to use this new
spectrum. If "they" refers to telcos, I am almost positive they'd never
contemplate such an idea.

They already announced the intention to move into LTE broadcast
of edifice events last year.

And they need to dedicate one-way broadcast spectrum 24/7 for this? Hardly.

Like I said already, the smart move is to expand the cellular network, then
make use of multicast mode **as required**, on those exceedingly rare occasions
where it really does make sense. Even if the 600 MHz spectrum is not ideal for
cellular, as I have repeatedly tried to get across, Craig, applying it to 2-way
cellular is still more in the telco's DNA.

even as the cable companies build out their WiFi networks
to compete with traditional wireless telco services.'

Cable companies have been building out their 2-way broadband service, and
offering telephone service, for many years now, Craig. Why bother mentioning
WiFi? The cable companies have essentially already become telcos, and the FCC
has wisely decided to make that formal, by mandating net neutrality on them too!