[opendtv] Re: TVNEWSDAY - The DTV Transition Is Over. Let's Party!

  • From: "Mark A. Aitken" <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:35:57 -0400

I have my tongue firmly planted between my teeth, and can not talk at this time. I saw/read this article right after reading my friend Steve's post. Ah...what could have been...

And to Bob Miller I say...don't blame the Bush administration for this one, it was Clinton and his little band of hooligans (starting with HIS FCC Chairman Kennard that not only ignored us, but flaunted that fact!) who had to have a way to balance the budget at the expense of Broadcasting. Kennard left many an impression when he left in January of 2001 (few good), the decision to stick with 'what you have' cast in stone...

<http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/News_Releases/2001/nrmm0102.html>

Among other things...(extracted)

The Commission:

   * Affirmed the 8-VSB modulation system of the DTV transmission
     standard, concluding that there is no reason to revisit its
     decision denying a request to allow use of an alternative DTV
     modulation standard.

   * ...

   * Denied requests to set performance standards for digital
     receivers, expressing concern that the effect of setting such
     standards at this point would be to stifle innovation and limit
     performance to current capabilities. The Commission said it would
     continue to monitor receiver issues;

   * ...

On 9/16/2008 3:09 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Mark A. Aitken posted:

http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2008/09/16/daily.3/

[ ... ]

"Doesn't matter. The transition is done enough. And this is great news.
Because digital TV is ready for the launch party when stations
vigorously promote its features and urge their communities to figure it
out and tune it in."

I take it this is a publication for broadcasters.

From the perspective of this non-broacaster viewer, however, the failure
has been that this new medium should have been "marketed vigorously"
starting years ago. Let's say, at least once decent receivers started
appearing on the market, and I'd even include the Accurian/Digital
Stream STB among these. Although built-in receivers by that time were
even better than the Accurian. Even if broadcasters were wary of earlier
receivers and all the complaints they might get. So, from sometime in
2003 anyway, the vigorous marketing should have begun. At least some
stations in most markets had already gone digital and HD.

As I see it, this "vigorous marketing" is not likely to occur at all,
but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

"Messaging tonnage has been huge (thanks in part to the FCC DTV
announcement mandate) and awareness of the date is exceptionally high.

"But awareness of what? This is from the FCC's DTV.gov home page: 'On
February 17, 2009, all full-power broadcast stations in the Unites
States will stop broadcasting on analog airwaves and begin broadcasting
only in digital.'"

[ ... ]

"What do typical TV viewers take away? Can you blame anyone who thinks
that digital TV is not here now, and that it starts in February?"

Yup, the wording is misleading, although technically correct. Then
again, why would any business ever let the Federal Govt do their
marketing for them? It makes no sense. I take this more as an
exasperated fed govt taking this function upon itself, when it shouldn't
have had to.

The transition started in 1998, 10 years ago.

<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><

Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology