[opendtv] Re: TVE definition

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:34:06 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Just more MVPDs, some offering slimmer bundles.

Craig feels the impulse to rename any OTT site "MVPD," just so he can sleep
better at night.

Please look at the article I posted this morning where Disney's
Iger talks about the future of ESPN distribution.

I didn't see the article, but what you excerpted is old news. ESPN already
moved out of the old "the bundle," is considering even more other schemes, and
is still losing subscribers, last numbers we saw. So I'm pretty positive they
will not retrench.

In a sentence:

If you subscribe to the linear streaming service via your MVPD you
gain access to the TVE site operated by the content owner.

Did you really need to go back to square 1 Craig?

I showed you more than once how the TVE channels offered by
each MVPD are *not* the same. The deals the MVPDs make with the
content owners, for TVE offerings, are *not* identical.

Wrong. They only differ in terms of what you are paying for with your MVPD.

Once again, you are wrong, Craig. I pointed this out many times.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/tv-junkies-rejoice-you-can-now-watch-shows-and-movies-just-about-everywhere/index.htm

And you can access Watch ESPN and HBO Go over Verizon. But you
cannot access the TVE sites because you do not subscribe to ESPN
or HBO.

And Craig, as usual, stubbornly misses the point. So let me make it simpler for
you, Craig. As a broadband customer using Verizon DSL, why can't I subscribe to
TWC TVE bundles? Obviously, I can't subscribe to their MPEG-2 TS broadcast
bundles, but why not what they happen to offer as TVE?

Are you seriously going to tell me that TWC doesn't know how to do business
over the Internet? Are you seriously going to tell me that TWC is befuddled by
the fact that I'm not connected to their wire, so they just can't figure out
how they might charge me? Hey TWC, and Craig, wake up. Dish figured it out.

The constraint on what TVE I can subscribe to is purely artificial. It has no
technical reason to exist. It extends garden walls artificially to the neutral
Internet.

Clearly there are people who have dropped MVPD service and
subscribe to Netflix or HBO Now. But many of us subscribe to
both a MVPD service and Netflix:

Continued banalities, right? Once again, the trend line is all that matters.