[opendtv] Re: TV stats for Italy

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:09:58 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

Can you explain how the TV license fees subsidize Freeview?

Freeview is operated by a consortium of companies including the BBC. I agree that the BBC content carried by Freeview is subsidized by the licence fees, as it has been for the analogue service. But commercial broadcasters are paying tidy sums to get their content onto Freeview.

DTG operates the Digital multiplex, in much the same way you have advocated the broadcast utility model. With the BBC paying for much of the usage, they in effect are subsidizing the service. They also provide much of the content.

Does DirecTV or Dish offer a free tier of DBS service here in the US? Why then does BSkyB offer a free tier? Hint: It has something to do with that 131.50 GBP ($257.52 USD per annum) licensing fee.

John

P.S., even though I work for a PBS affiliate, I still pay about that same amount in pledges annually to my local station.