[opendtv] Re: TV and Emergency Alerts question

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:48:50 +1200

Yes I am not surprised that it is not current practice but I feel it should
be and there is no technical or economic reason why complete isolation
switching should not be implemented on general consumer mains powered
equipment. How many people ensure their equipment is completely disconnected
from the mains when they go on a holiday? I imagine practically zero. There
has been the odd fire in absence though, due to especially TV faults and
these could have been attributable to mains surge. Furthermore, some TVs
consume some power to maintain a minimal CRT filament current for
near instantaneous power-up. As the (unnecessary) consumption of power
becomes a more recognized issue such isolation schemes may become common
place. Obviously basic logic/ IRD receiver and memory functions consume
miniscule power but other areas do not.
Barry Wilkins