[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: FCC Video Report Finds Expansion of Broadcast Services

  • From: "Hughes, Gary" <Gary.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 16:12:19 +0000

Re:
" Technologically, cable systems are catching up with telcoTV, which delivers
only the channels being watched at a given time versus the entire package a la
traditional cable. At the end of last year, more than half of the footprint of
the top eight cable providers was all-digital, with 43 percent of that portion
using switched digital video delivering only those channels watched.

So there is some progress with the underlying technology, which is moving
toward switched IP delivery, but no progress with bundling."

"Switched Digital" in a HFC network uses the same technology as VOD. UDP
streams are pushed to edge QAM devices (neighborhood nodes) where they are
modulated onto QAM carriers reserved for VOD/SDV. The last mile is MPEG
transport over QAM. It uses IP over the MSO's fibre links, but is not really
"IP delivery"

gary