[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: FCC Video Report Finds Expansion of Broadcast Services

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:06:57 -0400

On Jul 23, 2013, at 6:06 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is probably more than adequate for daily online TV watching, actually.
> Perhaps not plentiful for HDTV, but enough for good Internet SDTV. Using
> Amazon, which tells me at what bit rate I'm streaming, I've seen up to 900
> Kb/s. Assuming an average 1 Mb/s (125,000 bytes/sec), 4 hours per day, 31
> days per month, that still only adds up to 55.8 GBytes/month. And from what
> I've seen, they charge an extra $10 for each additional 50 GB, which is also
> not that bad. With your cap, HDTV 4 hours a day should also be feasible. Of
> course, that doesn't leave you much for anything else.
>
> This shouldn't be a huge imposition for TV.

Let's see what kind of a cap Cox imposes, as I rarely get sustained download
speeds from AT&T.

> I think that's almost a separate issue. If it was network capacity during
> peak hours that were the problem, the solution would be different. Not a flat
> cap, but different rates, or different caps, for different times of day. The
> monthly cap is more or less of a blunt instrument, if your real goal is to
> prevent network saturation.
>
> The network will saturate just as fast, caps or no caps, if everyone jumps on
> between 8 PM and 11 PM, let's say.

No Bert. The issue is that ~80% of U.S. homes are getting content from the the
MVPD video network not via broadband networks today. We can quibble about the
percentage given that many MVPD homes may be watching something via OTT
streaming today, but the number of homes streaming versus those using dedicated
video networks is relatively small. When the cable companies upgrade to
switched packet networks to the home this issue will change, but it may take
hearts. And with DBS it does not matter, as they cannot easily support millions
of IP streams for VOD.

> I wouldn't conclude that they're talking about IP delivery. We saw this
> coming a couple of years ago. At the time, IP wasn't mentioned as the
> technique, as far as I can remember. Whatever the case, it should leave more
> available bandwidth for IP broadband last mile links, anyway. Let's see if
> they put the extra capacity to work that way.

Whether they are using a proprietary streaming protocol or standard IP networks
does not matter. The important detail is that they can deliver a sustained bit
rate to every customer on a demand basis. They MAY be using a t and branch
infrastructure where all of the live TV streams are sent to nodes closer to the
neighborhood - this is what the cable guys are doing. But it is relatively easy
to provision broadband to these neighborhood nodes as well as dedicated video
streams.