[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: FCC Video Report Finds Expansion of Broadcast Services

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:06:19 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I mentioned this recently. AT&T imposes a 200 GB limit on my DSL.

This is probably more than adequate for daily online TV watching, actually.
Perhaps not plentiful for HDTV, but enough for good Internet SDTV. Using
Amazon, which tells me at what bit rate I'm streaming, I've seen up to 900
Kb/s. Assuming an average 1 Mb/s (125,000 bytes/sec), 4 hours per day, 31 days
per month, that still only adds up to 55.8 GBytes/month. And from what I've
seen, they charge an extra $10 for each additional 50 GB, which is also not
that bad. With your cap, HDTV 4 hours a day should also be feasible. Of course,
that doesn't leave you much for anything else.

This shouldn't be a huge imposition for TV.

> As many of us on this list have noted, the capacity does not exist
> for a large scale migration to OTT streaming.

I think that's almost a separate issue. If it was network capacity during peak
hours that were the problem, the solution would be different. Not a flat cap,
but different rates, or different caps, for different times of day. The monthly
cap is more or less of a blunt instrument, if your real goal is to prevent
network saturation.

The network will saturate just as fast, caps or no caps, if everyone jumps on
between 8 PM and 11 PM, let's say.

> "At the end of last year, more than half of the footprint of the
> top eight cable providers was all-digital, with 43 percent of that
> portion using switched digital video delivering only those
> channels watched."
>
> So there is some progress with the underlying technology, which is
> moving toward switched IP delivery, but no progress with bundling.

I wouldn't conclude that they're talking about IP delivery. We saw this coming
a couple of years ago. At the time, IP wasn't mentioned as the technique, as
far as I can remember. Whatever the case, it should leave more available
bandwidth for IP broadband last mile links, anyway. Let's see if they put the
extra capacity to work that way.