[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: ATSC 3.0 Prototypes Expected in 2016

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 00:28:14 -0500

On Feb 18, 2015, at 9:44 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Did you read the document that explains this? What is the correlation between
> b/s/Hz and tower spacing with LTE broadcast, Craig? Have we educated
> ourselves yet?

I have read several documents that discuss this. Thus one is quite interesting;
I think we have referenced it before.

http://www.ericsson.com/res/thecompany/docs/journal_conference_papers/wireless_access/p22-huschke.pdf

There are many trade offs, but inter site distance can vary from 2 to 10 Km
depending on population density, which correlates with existing tower
infrastructure than can be exploited.

Bottom line significant spectrum savings can be realized to match the service
now being delivered using the existing high power, high tower infrastructure.
The example cited is 84 MHz of spectrum to replicate what takes 300 MHz with
high power, high tower systems. Special considerations are needed in the border
areas between markets; if interfering signals are present reception may be
affected, but the improved spectral efficiency frees up enough spectrum to deal
with overlap areas.

The Ericsson paper chose not to compare total power usage for a market due to
lack of information at the time the paper was written.

>> I would have thought he would have promoted the concept that
>> local stations can simply move to the Internet, and
>> dramatically cut their power bills...
>
> Lack of reading comprehension or forgetfulness? Did I not suggest a role for
> local broadcasters on the Internet, several months ago now?

Neither. The Internet is an option for any business. I expect many broadcasters
may sell their spectrum and continue operations via direct feeds to MVPD
services and the Internet, when they can obtain the necessary rights for the
content. Geography IS a big issue here, as the networks will not give
affiliates Internet distribution rights, and most syndicated shows are licensed
on a geographically limited market basis. So the only content that they might
be able to stream is that which they produce locally.