[opendtv] Re: TV Technology: ATSC 3.0 Prototypes Expected in 2016

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:18:47 -0800

Why not just use DVB-T2?  All the ATSC 3.0 physical layer proposals are
essentially DVB-T2 warmed over with something to encumber it with
patents.

Just use DVB-T2 and avoid all the hardware development. Instead,
focus on the software development required for HTML 5, IP and
MPEG Media Transport.

Ron

On 02/17/2015 05:59 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Some very interesting comments follow this article, on TV Technology. These words sound
to me like they either suggest a two-way medium (highly unlikely) or maybe layered
coding: "Pizzi said one goal of ATSC 3.0 is to send a one signal that adapts to
different types of content and reception conditions, from TVs in the home to smartphones
to in-vehicle video systems. Another is to appeal to the international market, which
would enable more uniform development of both transmission and receiver equipment."

Would be nice to just spell it out.

One comment was why not just use LTE. Well, I think the reason is pretty clear,
if you consider that TV broadcast is set to lose 1/3 of its remaining spectrum.
You want to increase spectral efficiency, one would think, and/or (if one-way
broadcast) not have to rely on multiple hundreds of sticks per market.
Alternatively, let the cellcos take care of distributing TV to smartphones.
It's not obvious to me that the cellos will gladly allow ATSC 3.0 receivers in
the smartphones anyway? We've talked about this already.

Another commenter pointed out that there isn't any support for another big
change so soon, at the FCC. I agree with Mark that any such move, this time
around, would depend entirely on the broadcasters. There's no stomach in
government, I'm pretty sure, for another subsidized transition. I can just hear
the congressmen putting on their drama act if any such thing were suggested.

Another pointed out that broadcasters prefer their signal to go over MVPD media
anyway, also been discussed many times before.

An interesting comment was to use software designed radio, so we won't have to
experience these gut-wrenching changes every few years. (That would delay the
process enough to perhaps kill the whole idea.)

I have to admit that if the constraints of living with a one-way broadcast
medium need to remain, I'm also not sure of the payoff here. But I did like the
comment about using simple HDMI sticks for this.

Although when I think back at how impossible it was to get even half-way decent
ATSC 1.0 TV receivers or PVRs on the market, even three or four years after the
5th gen designs had been demoed, it makes me wonder. It literally took an act
of Congress.