[opendtv] Re: TV Everywhere popularity grows among pay TV subscribers, says ABI Research

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 09:32:32 -0400

On Jul 4, 2013, at 7:39 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> In which it says, "Of these multiscreen and TV Everywhere experiences, the
> vast majority will be by consumers using advanced interactive features, such
> as remote programming of a DVR."
>
> Weird to see old habits dying so hard. What's the term? Gilding the lily?
>
> The simplest way to provide "TV everywhere" is to NOT start by broadcasting
> it at all. All this "everywhere" really means is, providing TV over IP.
> Therefore, go IP from the git-go, just like everything else that's on the
> Internet. You don't need to remotely program a PVR at all, because you don't
> need a PVR at all. When at home, just like on the go, get the content from a
> server.

As an evolutionary goal, I agree with Bert. We are even seeing the MVPDs moving
to web based servers to replace their Video on Demand services. But we are also
seeing all manner of alternatives that operate both on the MVPD video networks
and over the Internet.

What Bert is failing to consider is that existing infrastructure WILL be
leveraged, not simply abandoned and replaced with new infrastructure. There are
millions of MVPD leased PVRs deployed in the U.S. - I have one, although I have
not yet installed an app to program it from my phone or iPad. It is an obvious
first step for MVPD subscribers to use these apps to program their PVRs. And,
it is also obvious that not a lll content is available OTT. While you may be
able to watch a game on ESPN on your phone or tablet, that game will not be
available on demand after the live "broadcast."

> People might say, but wait. If I can program a PVR remotely, then doesn't
> that mean that these TV content servers wouldn't be needed?"

Totally different argument. One is primarily based in "current events." You
hear about a program that is to be aired and mark it for recording. The other
is largely based on discovery - a friend tells you they are watching Arrested
Development or Breaking Bad, so you decide to watch the series beginning with
the first season…

> Uh, then how do you ever get the content to these other IP screens, while on
> the go? Relayed from a home server? How wasteful of upstream bandwidth in
> particular, and network bandwidth in general!

No argument about the inefficiency of schemes like the Dish Hopper service,
although this service integrates the STB Hopper/DVR and with server based
content hosted by Dish. The trend is definitely toward moving all content to IP
servers…

But it will take a few years…