[opendtv] TPV HDTV viewership survey

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:06:43 -0400

The August 2007 issue of The Perfect Vision has summary results of a TPV viewership survey they took. I think it will dispell some of the common wisdom often seen here.

First of all, an amazing 81 percent of respondents claim to have a "home theater" setup, and the average cost of this home theater was reported to be $11,000. So we're not dealing with low end respondents here.

Of those responding, HDTV source content is obtained as follows:

42 percent via cable
24 percent via satellite
9 percent via OTA.

Bob Ankosko summed this up to say that 75 percent are watching HDTV sources. (Which I interpret as saying that the OTA number applies to those who use *only* OTA for HD content.)

So the way I read it, of those who watch HDTV in these mostly expensive systems, 12 percent use the OTA signal as their only HD source. Not a bad showing, I'd say.

They didn't mention those who use a combination of DBS and OTA, or cable and OTA. So that 12 percent figure probably grows when you include these combinations.

Since these numbers are for big-spender households, it does not look like the DTV transition is going to reduce the OTA viewership percentage at all. It may actually increase it.