[opendtv] Re: Superbowl XL(1080)I

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:22:26 -0500

Do any bars ever just use OTA antennas? With multiple TV's in the bar here in Gainesville there is no single direction an antenna could point. And NBC is available only on cable, that only in analog. It didn't seem a winning proposition.

- Tom

Mark Aitken wrote:
How about convincing him he can HDTV for FREE OTA?

Mark
the one always plugging for a bright OTA future

Tom Barry wrote:

I watched most of the game on my HD front projector and thought that given the rain it was a pretty good picture. I noticed they now mostly now have a fairly narrow depth of field on the pans though that did not always avoid the blocking when rapidly panning over detailed backgrounds.

They had some interesting special effects introducing players. Though I sort of got tired of watching them play with that after awhile.

For the forth quarter I went off to my local bar for an attempt to win another HDTV in a raffle drawing. The bar has a couple of decently big screen HD & ED TV sets, receiving the game over very bad analog NTSC via Cox cable and stretched to 16:9. I think I annoyed the owner with my questions and suggestions and did not convince him to get an HD cable box. ;-)

I didn't win the TV either.

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:

Any comments on the quality of Sunday's Super Bowl XLI presented in glorious 1080i?

I watched on a 120" front projector at my church (we all huddled in fear that the NFL Police might kick in the door) and my impressions were that the pregame was brilliant, sharp, and very impressive. The game for the most part was assisted by the optical low pass filters (rain) on the camera lens, although every single animated transition from live play to a replay, and every animated transition back to live play, had horrible macroblocking. There was also macroblocking during fast pans, but not as noticeable as the animations.

John

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com