[opendtv] Re: Superbowl XL(1080)I

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 07:39:06 -0500

Before even the Fox HD splicers I seem to remember NBC announcing they were going to be making a pre-compressed HD stream of their prime time programming available to their affiliates. But I don't know if anything ever became of this. It was quite a while ago.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 5:34 PM -0500 2/6/07, Allen Le Roy Limberg wrote:

At 11:35 AM -0800 2/5/07, John Willkie wrote:

 >Sounds to me like WIVB-DT had the settings on their encoders set

properly.

For a long while I had thought the networks sent out their stuff already
packaged up in MPEG-2 packets eady to transmit.  I'm told only Fox does
this.  ABC, CBS and NBC send out uncompressed digital video and audio, it
seems; and, as John Wilkie's e-mail suggests, invidual broadcasters handle
compression into MPEG-2 packets for broadcast.

Al Limberg

Close.

Fox does compress their programming to emission level for distribution to affiliates. They also have equipment in stations that allow these feeds to be routed directly to the transmitter without re-compression. The other networks send out contribution quality feeds compressed to roughly 45 Mbps. At some times they may reduce this to get more than one program feed through the 45 Mbps links.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com