[opendtv] Re: Sub Fees Seen Growing Despite Over-the-Top Competition | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 01:42:49 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

-----------------------------------
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/sub-fees-seen-growing-despite-over-top-competition/137174

Sub Fees Seen Growing Despite Over-the-Top Competition
-----------------------------------

Perhaps now, Craig, you will understand WHY I said a few days ago that the
non-ESPN channels in Sling TV must be getting very little. Here are the
numbers. Quoting:

"Looking at the agreements Dish has made to launch Sling TV, Nathanson figures
the programming cost for the 12 networks in its 'Best of Live TV' package are
about $13 per month, including ESPN. With a $20 monthly price point, that
leaves $7 for 'customer acquisition costs, technology and hosting,
interconnection and transport costs and at least some customer service,'
Nathanson says. 'That won't leave a lot of room.'"

Remember what ESPN is asking for on MVPDs? Over $6/sub/mo. If they ask the same
on Sling TV, sounds like the other 11 channels are sharing 13-6 = $7/sub/mo. If
ESPN is asking for less, sounds pretty disruptive to me, eh?

Whatever the case, if MVPD prices are being hiked up as this article says, what
do you think would be the effect on cord shaving and cutting, Craig? Wild guess.