[opendtv] Re: Study: DVRs Are Hot, TiVo Is Not

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:28:19 -0500

I own a TiVo and a HDDVR. When I upgraded the TiVo with new, larger drives, I used the HDDVR to time shift the shows I usually watch through the TiVo.

Operationally the HDDVR is really klunky and not nearly as smooth to search, 'rewind' and replay segments of a show.

The Tivo is like owning the perfect digital tape machine with scan tracking heads; no picture breakup, smooth, clean operation in all playback, fast and slow motion modes, while the HDDVR is really klunky, with fits and starts and stops.
And yes it is working properly.

Who paid for the HDDVR survey that praises them so highly over the TiVo?
Bet we'll never really know.

Cliff

On 12/4/2012 4:35 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Monty Solomon posted:

---------------
Study: DVRs Are Hot, TiVo Is Not
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (December 3, 2012) -- About a decade ago, few TV
industry analysts would have foreseen a future in which the Digital
Video Recorder would become a commonplace item in U.S. homes but TiVo
would be a rarity.

But that's exactly what's happened, according to a new study from
Leichtman Research. The company says 52 percent of all pay TV
households (which represent about 85-90 percent of homes) have DVRs.
But only about two percent have TiVos.

The numbers offer a simplistic view of the extraordinary rise of the
DVR and the extraordinary fall of TiVo.

Roughly ten years ago, TiVo was considered synonymous with the word
'DVR' itself. If someone hip talked about recording a show, they said
they would 'TiVo' it. TiVo, which launched in 1997, one of two of the
original DVR companies (ReplayTV was the other), seemed ready to take
over the home video recording business.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/dvr110312.htm
schemes when there's absolutely no reason for it (the TiVo hype). But here you
have one inane attempt being trumped by even more obnoxious competition: the
completely walled garden that forces people to shell out monthly fees for an
electronic device you can buy off the shelf for very low prices. And if you
read the reviews of these MVPD PVRs, there ain't much to rave about.