[opendtv] Strong Ammunition!!

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:53:02 -0500

The House hearing on "The Role of Technology in Achieving a Hard
Deadline for the DTV Transition" will have very strong ammunition to use
in holding to the 2006 deadline that Joe Barton wants.

Most people suggest that his 2006 deadline is his playing bad cop to
Powell and Ferree's plan for 2009 which is more realistic. But I have
been told that LG will testify that they will have stand alone ATSC to
analog receiver converters for sale for $50 by the 2006 deadline if the
deadline is upheld. Specifically NOT the cost of integrated receivers
but STAND ALONE receivers when I further questioned the source.

The next question to LG is why not a decently priced 5th generation
receiver now or in the near future. Why are we always waiting for
another few years? If this is true I think the 2006 deadline is very real.

On the other hand this cements the US in as a 2nd world country. It
would be far better to scrap both 8-VSB and MPEG2 and follow the French
or Chinese into an MPEG4 AVC DMB-T or DVB-T world.

Bob Miller