[opendtv] Steel pipes for gas!

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:27:28 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

John Shutt asked a few weeks ago how he would get broadband over gas mains as
the feed to his home is all plastic pipes.  The quick answer is a bit of steel
particles added to the PVC before extrusion..

What caused me a bit of ponder is the scary thought of PVC being used for gas
distribution.  I've lived in San Diego, Orange County, Tijuana, Washington, DC
and other places on the East Coast.

I've never seen a single gas feed or main that wasn't made of steel.  Partly,
it was because as a kid on the East Coast, nobody was so clever to get such a
thing proposed or approved.

If there is a single gas feed (or main) in the State of California that is made
of PVC or any other plastic, there will be jail time to be paid.  All gas pipes
here are steel: it was a bit of a debate over a few years to allow flexible
steel hoses to stoves.

Why? Temblors aka earthquakes.  Had a bit of a laugh a few hours into the
wall-to-wall coverage that the cable news networks went into a few weeks ago
over the Hawaii temblor.  If several hours into the "crisis" the worst
emergency room report was of a broken arm, that would be another area with
steel gas pipes.  I can't wait for the investigations into the hospitals that
needed to be closed due to the shaking.  Hospital standards were passed here
more than 3 decades back.