[opendtv] Re: Standards group formed for HD links between phones and TVs

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:06:10 -0400

At 9:36 AM -0500 9/30/09, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
We must love standards, the way new ones get created at the drop of a hat.

Not sure why USB 3.0 wouldn't be applicable here. It would provide for power as well as any control and audio/video signals (either compressed or uncompressed), small plugs usable with cell phones, etc. Maybe they're after new IP.

My guess is that the interface will rely on the the mobile device to decode the audio and video, and thus carry high bandwidth analog signals. Or it could be uncompressed digital connecting to an HDMI port.

In any case, new devices - like the Zune HD - are hitting the market with options to connect to a TV and the interfaces are proprietary...

A standard might be useful, however it may also need to harmonize with the new connector standard that will allow universal power adapters for cell phones.

I this case it looks like the standard is being pushed by Silicon Image. Happens all the time...