[opendtv] Standard Def. DVD Good Enough for Movies

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:49:25 -0700

Craig writes, "Yes DVDs are good enough for movies.... One could argue that
a good NTSC signal might have more detail than many movies. Movies ARE NOT
about resolution."

I'm not arguing the point that "movies ARE NOT about resolution", nor that
many movies require the HD resolution, but I think many would benefit from
it.  Example: I recorded "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" off of an ATSC
broadcast (1080i program at about 16 Mb/s) and compared it to my special
edition standard DVD.  The scenes with fine detail were superior on the
ATSC signal compared to the DVD.  This was comparing them on a 1280x1024
LCD computer monitor, which obviously required scaling the video down.
They two media were using different decoders to view (ATSC was hardware
based using MyHD card and DVD was InterVideo WinDVD4 and Windows Media
Player 8 or 9) which would likely cause a significant difference.

I do think that some movies can benefit from the additional resolution that
High Definition media has to offer, no matter how they are distributed
(NTSC, DVD, etc.)  While the story does not often need the detail, there
are certain films that have fantastic wide scenes with lots of detail and I
personally get a thrill from seeing all that detail, the aforementioned
movie being one of them.

Dan Grimes