[opendtv] Re: Spectrum Comments Pour into FCC

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 09:27:09 -0500

At 1:35 PM -0800 12/31/09, Dale Kelly wrote:
I agree with Bert, OTA viewership of DTV may well be on the rise and a recalibration is needed.

See the following article from the LA Times; an excerpt and URL follow:

Rabbit ears make comeback in digital TV era

Southland viewers are finding they can get nearly three times as many channels as they once could with an antenna. And best of all, they're free. On a recent winter night, while neighbors strung their Baldwin Park homes with Christmas lights, the Lams and their three children sat in front of a television set with rabbit ears sprouting out of the top.
Wait a second -- rabbit ears? Is this 1950?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-rabbit-ears25-2009dec25,0,5668446,full.story

Dale

This comes as no surprise. I almost posted the same story.

There's a good reason that the broadcast audience has been characterized as "bottom feeders" for more than a decade. Go buy a TV at a yard sale for $5 and you're set. It's a little more expensive to receive DTV, however, as the article points out, this is a one time expense. There was still a stack of ATSC receiver boxes at the Best Buy here in Gainesville last week.

What is more interesting is how sub channels are being used to serve these minority audiences - this used to be the audience served by the LPTV stations.

As for the size of the audience, I'm not certain it is really growing. Clearly there are MANY U.S. citizens who are hurting and are good candidates to drop cable in favor of FOTA. But it is also clear that there has been a significant exodus of illegals, who when home when the jobs dried up. I've heard that up to 10 million illegals have left the U.S. since the start of this government inspired recession...