[opendtv] Re: Specs for coupon program-compliant STBs

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:01:20 -0700 (PDT)

Recognizing we are guessing what was REALLY in the prototype Samsung ATSC
Receiver tested by CRC.....

If Fig 1 block diagram is to be believed, then it is possible Samsung was
using one of the ATI Theater ATSC Demoduators (Receiver "C" in ATI tests?).

Although the CRC test report cited an ALPS tuner, Samsung has a long history of
using
ATI products in their own tuners, including NXT2002, NXT2004, T310 and T313.

The Samsung E-M website currently only lists the VSB/POD NIM (tuner) series:
http://www.sem.samsung.com/cms/ifweb/en/products/productOverview.jsp?pcode=D030&pname=Americas/Korea%20(VSB/POD)&loca=a&locag=3&locam=Tuners&navi=overview&pimage=N&tmp02=app
Note the CHOICE of either S5H1409 (SAMSUNG) or T312 (ATI).
Hmmm....I wonder if they are essentially the same chip.....

So I would say it is likely that Samsung used ATI's Theater (perhaps under
license) in the
Prototype and we know they used the later Xilleon (with embedded MPEG decoder,
et. al.)
in the DTB-H260F OTA STB.

holl_ands

"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Richard
Hollandsworth wrote:

> Most of the other HDTV's and ALL of the tested OTA STB's
> were in the low performance group where the best decoded
> only 8 to 11, except for one HDTV and one OTA STB that
> mustered 14 to 16.

Right, but that's because the report included 3rd generation demods,
like the LG LST-4200A, for example. I basically discount anything that
is pre-4th generation. Their echo tolerance and symbol sync performance
are not, IMO, good enough, and it's doubtful anyone would continue to
produce these. And in any event, none of these 3rd gen solutions would
meet the NTIA spec.

> I think "Gemini" was a "code name" for the ATI Xilleon
> 240H (Receiver "C"?), as used in the Samsung STB-H260F OTA
> STB....which uses ALPS TDQU3-001A tuner.

Actually, I think not, but of course I can't be certain. The ATI chip
incorporates the MPEG decoder, whereas the Gemini chip is a demod only.

http://ati.amd.com/products/xilleon240sh/index.html

vs

http://www.crc.ca/files/crc/home/research/broadcast/samsung_lab_report.p
df

Figure 1.

I expect that Samsung, when faced with having to produce a very low cost
STB, opted to use the apparently quite good Xilleon chip, to reduce the
parts count. And it looks like Samsung is also planning on using the
Xilleon for their DVD recorder. I wish the CRC would test it so we could
get a complete comparison.

Bert

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.