[opendtv] Re: Specs for coupon program-compliant STBs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:56:12 -0400

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> Most of the other HDTV's and ALL of the tested OTA STB's
> were in the low performance group where the best decoded
> only 8 to 11, except for one HDTV and one OTA STB that
> mustered 14 to 16.

Right, but that's because the report included 3rd generation demods,
like the LG LST-4200A, for example. I basically discount anything that
is pre-4th generation. Their echo tolerance and symbol sync performance
are not, IMO, good enough, and it's doubtful anyone would continue to
produce these. And in any event, none of these 3rd gen solutions would
meet the NTIA spec.

> I think "Gemini" was a "code name" for the ATI Xilleon
> 240H (Receiver "C"?), as used in the Samsung STB-H260F OTA
> STB....which uses ALPS TDQU3-001A tuner.

Actually, I think not, but of course I can't be certain. The ATI chip
incorporates the MPEG decoder, whereas the Gemini chip is a demod only.

http://ati.amd.com/products/xilleon240sh/index.html

vs

http://www.crc.ca/files/crc/home/research/broadcast/samsung_lab_report.p
df

Figure 1.

I expect that Samsung, when faced with having to produce a very low cost
STB, opted to use the apparently quite good Xilleon chip, to reduce the
parts count. And it looks like Samsung is also planning on using the
Xilleon for their DVD recorder. I wish the CRC would test it so we could
get a complete comparison.