[opendtv] Re: Speaking of distinctions ...

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:11:27 -0400 (EDT)

this report goes much deeper than the headline, which even might be a bit misleading.

I think it's proposing radical changes in the tv copyright structure vis-a-vis cable and satellite.  In any event, I will avoid commenting before I've read the whole thing.  After avoiding the executive summary (intended largely for fools and those with short attention spans.), I'm 20 pages into the 240+ page report, but they are foreshadowing dropping several compulsory licenses and seemingly putting cable copyright issues "out to the free market."  Which is something I've actually advocated hereabouts.

I suspect that others will opine before I.  I haven't given an opinion above; just a fair reading about the hints I've picked up so far.  I'll leave quick, uninformed 'analysis' to others.  Also, I'm getting a whiff of things at the very least that were just adjacent to last week's brouhaha.

I can say that it helped induce a nap that I've just gotten up from, but that was largely brought about by a "bad night" last night.