[opendtv] Re: Speaking of business models

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:34:22 -0400

I watched the final few episodes of DayBreak, legally from ABC.com after the show was canceled. It was fairly good download quality and had maybe 3 20-second commercials in each episode, I think done in Flash.

Remember that offering downloads can not only have advertising, they also ARE advertising, bringing folks to your site and promoting the shows.

- Tom

John Shutt wrote:
Bert,

I just went to ABC.go.com and found episodes of Ugly Betty, a show I never catch due to my job, but I watched it once and found very good.

The beginning of each clip says "Brought to you with limited commercial interruption by Smirnoff" and there is a Smirnoff banner on the screen the entire time the episode is playing.

This would appear to me to be both a means to get some incremental revenue, and also to combat unauthorized posting on sites such as YouTube.

John

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx