[opendtv] Speaking of MPEG-4 ...

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 13:53:38 -0700

The ATSC today announced the publication of ATSC Standard A/72, in two parts
(part 1 <http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_72_part_1.pdf> ) and (part 2
<http://www.atsc.org/standards/a_72_part_2.pdf> ) providing for the carriage
of AVC (MPEG-4, part 10) video within ATSC A/53 transport streams.  I
suspect that the first real use of AVC will not be in A/53 transport
streams, in no small part due to the inability of legacy digital receivers
to deal with AVC (for the most part.)  For what that use will be, you will
have to stay tuned.

But, note that there is now a new stream_type for AVC (28 / 0x1B) , and how
this information is conveyed in PSIP.

A few highlights: finally support for still pictures, and NO ANALOG
CAPTIONS, just digital ones.

There is a press release.  If you'd like a copy, and it isn't available from
the ATSC web site, send me an email and I'll forward it to you.  I tend to
not read press releases on this type of stuff.

I'll have support for AVC to my PSIP generator, EtherGuide Emissary, and
test the changes, before the day is out.  (Turn on a dime, and give nine
cents change.)