[opendtv] Re: Sony Vaio home theater PC

  • From: Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:12:06 -0400

Sounds like New York City. Most people here will not get decent DTV
with 8-VSB unlike with DVB-T, DVB-T2 or any of the COFDM based
modulations. Still can watch my video, an hour of very good reception
mobile in the canyons of Manhattan and N, Jersey with only omni
antennas and a 100 Watt transmitter, 1kW erp, from 425 ft on the AT&T
building at Canal St. And that is with 2003 tech. What if we were to
allow DVB-T2 today?

Seems most people talking of decent DTV reception from New York City
live in PA or farther out in NJ or Long Island.

And a lot of people who now claim decent reception will find over time
that decent is not good enough when they get even the occasional drop
out. I guess they will have to buy a new receiver for M/H and watch
the mobile version in some kind of SD.

Nice that this is so compatible. Why was it again that allowing both
COFDM and 8-VSB was so bad? And just how different would doing that be
from 8-VSB and M/H? Have to buy a new receiver??? Sounds like the rant
against allowing COFDM. I still see M/H as a new modulation since it
is not receivable by legacy receivers or decodable anyway and steals
bandwidth from the main channel that promised pristine HDTV. I see M/H
as not compatible with the spirit of the DTV transition as promulgated
back in the day.

Of course we all know that that promulgation was all about killing
COFDM and nothing about any spirit of anything.

All that energy just to kill off the good modulation. The last ten
years have been so incredibly negative that everything looks up from
here. I would love to get a bunch of broadcasters in a room and have
them extol at length on just how good 8-VSB has been for their
industry and how having 75% of homes with OTA receivers in them, like
the UK today, would be bad for US broadcasters today.

Add maybe 75% of cars also by now if we had opted for 8K DVB-T back in the day.

Bob Miller