[opendtv] Re: Sony Vaio home theater PC

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 05:41:30 -0400

It may or may not have been on this list but yesterday I read some
article about what the convergence of TV and computer increasingly looks
like.  The answer was it basically looks like a computer.

They have all the problems you mention but more and more people are
getting used to them.  Many on this list probably know I have used
nothing else for about 8-9 years now.  Add a wireless keyboard and, in
my case, a track ball sitting next to my chair and it pretty much takes
over all media entertainment functions while also allowing big screen
web browsing and email from a recliner.  Most of the time I don't even
touch the keyboard.

Though the use of a computer for entertainment media is hindered by the
fact it can be used to get around most copy protection functions by the
determined.  While that is a feature for the users it is a nightmare for
media distributors.  But it is happening anyway.

- Tom