[opendtv] Re: Sony U.S execs: Expect a robust holiday season

  • From: Cliff Benham <cbenham@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:14:43 -0500

I bought an AverMedia card for $80.00 based on the spec sheet on the
company's website which clearly stated
that it demodulates ATSC, as well as unencrypted 64 and 256 QAM.
http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/tvtuner/pci/mcea180wb/mcea180wb_spec.shtml

After installing it, the only thing it will do is ATSC. Not even NTSC.

Emails and a fax  to Avermedia finally got a phone call from someone who
told me flat out that
the software for 64 and 256 QAM has not been written yet.
Asked whether any of their other products will demodulate 64 and 256
QAM, he said no,
and he didn't know of any plans to write that software for them either.