[opendtv] Re: Some results - 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:23:00 -0400

You seem to be misreading again. There is no point I can see where the third bar (1080i) was higher than the second (720p). At very high data rates, the first bar (1080p) did better than the second, but the third was never better than the second.

TTFN,
Mark

John Shutt wrote:
Mark,

Do you have an explanation as to why uncompressed 1080p50, downconverted to uncompressed 1080i25, then upconverted back to 1080p50 again at the display was preferred over 1080p50>720p50>1080p50?

Was there perhaps a Nyquist filtering added at the 1080i conversion stage that killed resolution for the subsequent upconvert?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Schubin" <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I attended the demo at IBC, and I can confirm the results.

Again, I must emphasize, however, that all three signals were derived from the same 1080p camera. If you don't do that, then there is a significant sharpness advantage to 1080i acquisition over 720p acquisition.

TTFN,
Mark