[opendtv] Some nifty hidef DVD screen shots

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 08:05:59 -0400

There has been some discussion here about whether you can really benefit from all the extra detail in HD. I've even personally claimed that much OTA HD does not really have much more detail that a properly upscaled DVD.

However for at least some highdef DVD's the detail does seem to be there, and fairly obvious in some comparisons now posted on an interesting AVS thread posted recently. This has full rez captured images I assume came directly from ripped hidef DVD's, no cameras. It also includes links to a flash viewer allowing easy comparison viewing.

See the thread at <http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=811102>

But be prepared for some large images with long load times. If you don't read the entire thread at least click on the little blue or red cat (bunny?) under one of the King Kong samples as that movie seems to be one of the most detailed ever. The icon links to the viewer where you can wipe a line left and right to see the detail change.

- Tom

Disclaimer: Not my thread and I was not personally involved with any of that, though I certainly approve of the objective comparisons, ripped or not.

--
Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx