[opendtv] Some figures frokm The Perfect Vision

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 18:29:14 -0400

In the current issue of The Perfect Vision there are
two interesting points made, on topics that have been
discussed here lately.

Barry Willis quotes CEA findings which indicate that
as of 2004, 60 percent of US households were
subscribed to cable (not 65 percent) and that 24
percent were subscribed to DBS, where DirecTV had a
small edge over EchoStar.

To me, this indicates again that OTA-exclusive
households must have reached some sort of
equilibrium at about 15+ percent.

Gary Merson says that in a check of current set
pricing, the built-in digital tuner raises the
price of the non-digital equivalent by just over
$100. The models he checked demanded a premium of
$110 to $120.

But one of the sets compared was a 27" RCA CRT.
The one with built-in digital tuner came in just
about where I had expected, from the press releases
they provided last March, at $279. This is exactly
the same price we paid for that sort of analog-only
set just last year. The same analog-only set now
goes for $159. To me, that sounds like fire sale
prices. The way I see it, the added digital tuner's
price delta is quickly vanishing into oblivion.