[opendtv] So Much for HDTV - Olympics

  • From: Jay Cordova <arteffects@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:25:36 -0400

I¹ve been watching the Olympics every night OTA from local affil WXIA
(Atlanta). It looks stunningly good -- except when there is movement. It¹s
very unfortunate that the athletes are prone to movement during the Games!
(WXIA broadcasts an SD subchannel with weather, so there¹s bit robbery from
the Games.)

Worst offenders causing much macroblocking:

* NBC¹s transition, which occurs very frequently (pretty heavy
macro-blocking every time, rings especially)
* Divers doing three-and-a-halfs last night; extreme macro-blocking
(horrible)
* Tumbling where twists are involved; extreme macro-blocking (horrible)
* Any swimming that creates excess splashing (freestyle and butterfly pretty
bad)
* Runners covered by the traveling camera on sideline track (arm movement +
camera movement = bad blocking)

The list for me is much longer, but that¹s a good sampling of what I¹ve been
seeing OTA.

I am very much disappointed with the Olympics in HD. Some of it is so bad
that I¹m at a loss for words. Static shots and shots with low movement do
look stunningly good. 2X and 3X slo-mo replays of high motion diving and
tumbling have significantly reduced, but still pretty severe,
macro-blocking.

For me, it¹s still hard to believe that this is what we¹ve ended up with and
will be saddled with as our ³broadcast quality² high definition standard.
Arrrgh to the nth degree.

WXIA¹s SD analog broadcast (OTA, rotor roof antenna) looks very clear, but
there is still macro-blocking. I¹d say it¹s less than half as severe as the
HD blocking. I can see more detail in analog SD during the high movement
dives, tumbling and such ­ no doubt about it. (I¹m guessing the analog
broadcast is separately derived from the 42mps network feed, thus less
artifacts?) I switch to SD for some events or portions of events. The kids
see the blocking and call it ³the junk in the picture². I know some people
who think it ³looks great² and seem oblivious to the artifacts.

I haven¹t seen the local Comcast HD of the Games on WXIA, but I¹m guessing
it¹s got to be worse that what I see on OTA, correct? I¹m guessing no way
Comcast carries the full 15mbps (a guess) that XIA is transmitting, but I do
not know. What are you guys seeing from cable providers and what are your
observations if you are able to compare cable HD to OTA HD? The Comcast
regular SD picture looks pretty darned bad ­ lots worse than SD OTA of
course.

All in all, a real disappointment, as the detail I¹d like to see the most of
has the most severe macro-blocking. I wish I could see what the network feed
to the affiliates looks like on a good hi-def CRT. Have any of you seen
that?

I¹ll bet everything looks absolutely spectacular to the folks doing the
switching over in China seeing the cleanest picture available.

Love the Thompson slo-mo cameras in action, despite the artifacts. They sure
add a lot to the broadcasts.