[opendtv] Smokers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:36:39 -0500

I see several people express the opinion that everyone should just buy
cable and all problems would be solved. That point of view is so odd.

Most people by now are probably aware how thoroughly obnoxious cigarette
smoke is to a non-smoker. Yet, to a smoker, it's no big deal. So this
"just buy cable" suggestion, to me, sounds very much like a smoker
telling the non-smoker to "just pick up smoking." That works, right? You
won't be bothered by the stench anymore. If I'm addicted, the best
solution is for you to become addicted too.

Michael Powell showed great wisdom when he realized that the "tuner
mandate" by itself would not benefit the majority of TV buyers. That's
why he encouraged the "cable ready" feature to be included too. The fact
that cable companies overcharge for the CableCard, even though to them
it should be far simpler than isnatlling STBs, and the vast majority of
cable subscribers would also prefer that solution, is only testament to
their obnoxious business practices.

This is a free market. Meaning, the sellers can only sell what consumers
are willing to buy. If consumers don't want something, it's up to them
to quit bending over and taking it.