[opendtv] Re: Smartphones encourage mobile user churn

  • From: "Richard C. Ramsden" <ramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 00:11:28 -0400

I have an unlocked phone, but it won't work on any cell carrier than the one it was designed for.

I've read the original article. The implication that it affects the iPhone is ignorant at best. Since we've all read it the promoter succeeded. A couple days internet ad revenue. Just because it's crap doesn't mean you can't make money from it.

NB I use Firefox with adBlock and noScript, so I didn't see the ads.

On 9/25/2010 10:45 AM, Tom Barry wrote:
The reason the MVPDs drag their feet on things like tru2way, and why
DBS never even bothered to participate in creating a standard that
might be comparable to DVB-T/C/S, is that the MVPDs prefer to keep
their proprietary solutions, to prevent subscriber churn.
No Bert. They are dragging their feet because they make tons of money
leasing these devices. The only time they can affect subscribe churn
is when one MVPD offers something the others do not offer. This was
the case early on for DBS, which introduces DVRs before cable, Near
video on demand before cable, and exclusive content like NFL Prime
ticket.

Do not discount the other benefit from a proprietary solution.  That is
that you can keep control over it.  That in turn allows the cable
company to choose innovations based upon their business needs, rather
than have the long delay needed implement any new common standard.

- Tom