[opendtv] Re: Smart TVs - No One Uses Smart TV Internet

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 17:45:24 -0500

Tom posted:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/internet-tv-sucks/

There's no excuse for the reasons printed in the article.

The user interfaces aren't similar and are too confusing? Why? Aren't people by
now totally familiar with web browsers? Why can't smart TVs use regular web
browsers, a regular remote keyboard (as necessary, which might be quite
infrequent), and regular remote mouse?

Typing while sitting 10'-15' away from the screen, I agree, isn't he easiest
thing to do. But of course, you wouldn't typically do those activities from a
TV. But browsing the web for videos, movies, TV programs, travel brochures, is
fine. And you can set the size of the type, if the default size is too small. I
have no problem reading text on the TV, set to its default setting. Because the
TV resolution is 1366 X 768, so text is relatively large, even 14' or so
distant, when it's on a 42" set. But again, that's adjustable. And reading text
is not the primary reason to connect a TV to the Internet.

Most of the typing, for most people, would probably be to set up their
"favorites." Once favorites are set up, the mouse is all you use.

I didn't see the most obvious reason listed, though. Which is, these connected
TVs can't browse the web properly. My personal experience is, a very small
minority of what I watch online is available on one of those handicapped sets.
I do watch some YouTube stuff, and I occasionally use regular Hulu. That's
about it. Everything else is either going to be international networks, the TV
networks' own web sites, or searching for movies online, at strange and
probably sketchy sites. (Yes, for that, I might type the name of the movie on
my search engine. Big deal.)

What a waste of technology when you have the Internet at your disposal, and CE
companies inexplicably wall it all off. Certainly takes all the fun out of it.