[opendtv] Sling Media bringing TV to cell phones

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 00:36:35 -0500

Sling Media's TV on cell phones
Commentary: Learning from TiVo's challenges

By Bambi Francisco, MarketWatch
Last Update: 8:21 PM ET Feb. 8, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- These days, as we're stuck in boring
meetings or sitting on the dais as some speaker drones on and on, we
can amuse ourselves by checking and sending emails on our
BlackBerries.

Soon enough, we'll be in another world as we watch ballgames,
episodes of Seinfeld, or the end of a movie we didn't finish watching
that was recorded on our TiVo. And, we'll have the option of
accessing those shows on our cell phones, thanks to Sling Media.

Sling Media -- for those in Silicon Valley -- isn't new. But getting
the service on handsets is.

The company's first product, the Slingbox, was released last summer
and ranks among the top 100 most popular electronics products on
Amazon.com. The Slingbox, which looks like an oversized silver-coated
Hershey's chocolate bar, costs about $200 and lets you turn your
laptop into your living room television set, even if you're on the
other side of the world.

Today, laptops. Tomorrow, handsets.

Co-founder and CEO Blake Krikorian showed me a demo of his newest
offering on his Sprint 6700 smart phone. Any day now, he tells me,
Sling Media will make available an application to be downloaded onto
phones or PDAs that have Microsoft's Windows mobile technology. That
means if you're using a Palm Treo 700 or Samsung i730 or the Sprint
6700, to name a few, you'll be able to watch your television in the
palm of your hand. And, I'm not talking snippets or video clips made
for phone programming, but full-length shows.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/Story.asp?guid={0D94345B-67C6-4B0D-9BBE-2599CB0D1C0F}