[opendtv] Re: Slim pickins in Gainesville

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 14:21:55 -0500

Craig -

I haven't moved yet but it really doesn't look that good. I don't know about the fade problems but I'm obviously one of those customers that needs a directional antenna that can point in many directions. Since I mostly do timer recording that presents a problem, especially for recording multiple shows at the same time.

But I have two PCHD cards each with two inputs. Maybe I'll just put 4 antennas in the attic, pointed in 4 directions. I certainly have no intention of putting up a tower (rental) and I just signed up for Cox broadband without any cable TV at all. The web page didn't mention it and I forgot to check for a discount if I got limited basic. I might revise this part later.

I'll contact you after I get situated. In addition to the digital TV issues I'm curious about your home brew beer. ;-)

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Tom Barry wrote:

 Hey, I'll be moving to Gainesville next week (probably offline a bit)
 for my new job. Hopefully HD reception there is not so bad as all
 that but I'll at least be able to compare with Jax & Detroit. I'm
 going to be on the North side of town (Northwood Oaks) so maybe I'll
 even be able to get some Jacksonville stations if I put up a decent
 outside antenna.

Wow. All the best on your move, Tom.

Jacksonville seems like a good bet, on paper anyway. They have 8 full
power DTT stations (actually one is VHF), and they are all pretty much
co-located, it seems. Certainly from Gainesville they should appear that
way. As the crow flies, looks like 55 miles. A bit of a stretch, but it
should be okay for full power stations.

Reception of the Jacksonville stations is a crap shoot at best here. It is not only the distance, but the terrain. The signal must travel several miles along and across the St. John's River. Many problems with fades, etc. I live in Alachua for several years where we did not have cable. We had an antenna in a treetop about 100 feet up. There were days where we got a decent NTSC picture, and days when we got nothing but snow. Unless Tom plans on putting up a huge tower, reception from Jax is probably not in the cards.

So between Gainesville and Jacksonville, you have a decent choice. See
Craig? That's why OTA TV needs to go between markets.

See Bert, you're good at looking up things on paper, but in the real world things do not always work out as planned.

Tom Barry                       trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com