[opendtv] Re: Slim pickins in Gainesville

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:53:38 -0500

When I do a query for translators within 30 Km of Gainsville I get none.

When I do a query for translators and LP stations I get one station on
a list of seven that is not listed correctly as a LP station, W29CV,
though it is listed as a LP station elsewhere.

There are no translators on the air though there are a couple of CP's
and one application. But they could be nothing.

Bob Miller

On 11/29/06, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I am not aware of ANY translators in this area. I beleive these are
ALL
> LPTV stations.

Maybe things will get better for DTT users in Gainesville. There are
some low power stations, as you say, but there are also many translators
listed by the FCC.

Go to

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html

and toward the bottom of the page, enter 30 Km for radius,
then 29 32 11 N and 82 24 0 W for position, and press "submit."

This should give you all the TV transmitters, including low power TV and
translators, within 30 Km of WCJB.

Anything marked TX, that is not also marked as being LD or LP with their
call sign, shows up as translator. There appear to be at least 11 of
these, within that radius. Some are new. Clicking on the "facility ID"
to the right gives you more detail.

And many are, or will be, transmitting a reasonable amount of power.
Even up to 150 KW ERP. What are these guys for? They are owned by
companies like Equity Broadcasting, Pegasus Broadcast, Budd
Broadcasting, WGFL License Corporation, etc.