[opendtv] Re: Slim pickins in Gainesville

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:14:49 -0500

At 2:21 PM -0500 11/29/06, Tom Barry wrote:
Craig -

I haven't moved yet but it really doesn't look that good. I don't know about the fade problems but I'm obviously one of those customers that needs a directional antenna that can point in many directions. Since I mostly do timer recording that presents a problem, especially for recording multiple shows at the same time.

But I have two PCHD cards each with two inputs. Maybe I'll just put 4 antennas in the attic, pointed in 4 directions. I certainly have no intention of putting up a tower (rental) and I just signed up for Cox broadband without any cable TV at all. The web page didn't mention it and I forgot to check for a discount if I got limited basic. I might revise this part later.

I'll contact you after I get situated. In addition to the digital TV issues I'm curious about your home brew beer. ;-)

After looking at the list Bert pointed us to, it turns out that the situation is worse than I described. WGFL is not on Harvey Budd's tower in Newberry, it is in High Springs, which is to the NW. You might get away with two antennas, one pointing roughly SSW and the other NW. The PBS station will likely come in on both, due to your close proximity to the transmitter.

I have never tried to receive any DT broadcasts here, so I look forward to the opportunity to see how well it is working in this market.

As for the home brew, now we are talking about a useful hobby that has had a significant impact on the amount of time I used to waste watching TV. But it did lead me to watch a few new programs on INHD - Beer Nutz and Three Sheets.