[opendtv] Sky 'forced to delay some HD installations'

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:49:05 -0400

Seems to me that HDTV is in demand everywhere, if made available. I =
wonder how much more popular it would be there if it were on Freeview. =
The price of admission in this system includes a mandatory satellite =
PVR, it seems.

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=3Dcountries&subclass=3D0&id=3D1=
680

Sky 'forced to delay some HD installations'

BSkyB has reportedly been forced to delay the installation of its =
high-definition television service, Sky HD, for some subscribers after =
being hit by supply problems. Technology news site The Register claimed =
17,000 installation dates were being rescheduled in order to cope with =
the shortfall in new set-top boxes. Earlier this month Sky said it had =
taken 40,000 advanced orders for Sky HD and would begin installations =
today.

A Sky spokesman told The Register that the broadcaster aimed to "install =
thousands of Sky HD boxes before the start of the World Cup and we =
expect that every customer who was due to have their box for the World =
Cup will have Sky HD for at least part of the tournament".

In a statement to The Register, Sky said the HD service would launch on =
time this week but some installation dates would have to be changed =
because of set-top box delivery delays.

"We ordered more than enough boxes to meet demand and we're ready to =
install them but they're not arriving from our supplier as fast as we =
agreed. We think the fairest approach is to change the dates of some =
installations while keeping the original order. This means that those =
who requested Sky HD first will still be among the first to receive it," =
said the statement.

"We're very sorry for any disappointment this has caused and we're =
working hard to resolve the situation. Thousands of customers will have =
their HD box next week and many more will be installed in time for the =
start of the World Cup. We'll do everything we can to bring HD to =
everyone as soon as possible," the statement added.

Sky HD costs =A310 per month in addition to a Sky digital subscription =
(currently priced between =A315 and =A342.50 per month). Subscribers =
will also pay =A3299 for a set-top box that will incorporate a 160GB =
hard drive, allowing them to record 30 hours of high-definition =
programmes or 80 hours of standard definition content using the full =
functionality of Sky+.

Lovelace Consulting  |  22.05.2006