[opendtv] Skepticism greets FCC chief's spectrum promises

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 15:32:34 -0600

"... even the 500MHz target, if achievable, falls well short of the 800MHz the
mobile carriers claim they need."

The FCC is not supposed to be in the business of accepting on faith "what they
think they need," and screwing the public accordingly. Excuse my French.

Bert

-----------------------------------
http://www.rethink-wireless.com/article.asp?article_id=2704

By CAROLINE GABRIEL

Published: 25 February, 2010

The FCCs chief, Julius Genachowski, has issued some more details of the US
National Broadband Plan, which will be presented to Congress on March 17.
However, few were reassured that he would succeed in freeing up sufficient
spectrum to meet the burgeoning needs of mobile operators and new entrant
service providers.

Speaking at the New America Foundation in Washington, Genachowski claimed the
US was "not lagging behind" other nations in broadband, but acknowledged that
more spectrum would be necessary to support the rising demand for mobile data.
He proposes releasing 500MHz of spectrum over the next decade. One mechanism
will be a "mobile future auction", which will enable existing licensees such as
broadcasters to give up frequencies in markets that need it most, in return for
a share of auction proceeds.

This will allow cellcos to take advantage of TV spectrum that is currently
being underused or used inefficiently, said Genachowski, and will also give the
broadcasters "more flexibility to pursue business models to serve their local
communities".

The FCC chief also included unlicensed spectrum in his overview, saying it had
an important role in stimulating innovation. And he touched on the much delayed
plan for a national, interoperable public safety network driven by a
public/private initiative, which was scuppered when the D block of 700MHz
spectrum, earmarked for this purpose, failed to attract its reserve price two
years ago.

However, critics were quick to pounce - although a public safety program is
promised, there is no indication as yet how this would work in practise;
unlicensed options like the white spaces, and slivers of broadcast spectrum,
will not add up to the quantities required, especially in urban areas; even the
500MHz target, if achievable, falls well short of the 800MHz the mobile
carriers claim they need.

Genachowski laid out a more general overview of FCC mobile priorities -
recovering and reallocating spectrum, updating twentieth century spectrum
policies, removing barriers to broadband build-out, lowering the costs of
deployment, and promoting competition. He also said backhaul was a "critical
challenge," and pledged "a series of initiatives to bring fiber as far and as
deep in the network as possible."

He added: "It typically takes quite some time from the beginning to the end of
a strategic spectrum reallocation process. But the clock is ticking on our
country's mobile broadband leadership opportunity and our global
competitiveness challenge, and we have to get started. .. If we get it right,
broadband, and in particular mobile broadband, will be an enduring engine for
creating jobs and growing our economy, for spreading knowledge and enhancing
civic engagement, for advancing a healthier, sustainable way of life. This is
our moment. Let's seize it."