[opendtv] Re: Single-chip HDTV solution powers new DTV products for U.S. ATSC market

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:18:10 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> There is no requirement of which I'm aware in any DVB country
> for all TVs and devices with TV tuners to have DTT-reception
> capability. In the U.S., that requirement kicks in a few
> weeks from now.

De facto, with analog cutoff dates of 2010 to 2012 in western Europe and
Australia, DTT reception will be mandatory for any OTA user. Regardless
of "tuner mandate."

So only cable or DBS subscribers would benefit from cheaper analog-only
sets, and in many countries, these make up a small minority.

I expect integrated sets, perhaps DVB-T, DVB-S, and DVB-C, to become
commonplace there too.