[opendtv] Re: Single-chip HDTV solution powers new DTV products for U.S. ATSC market

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:43:08 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> You confuse me with someone making an argument in favor of
> DVB-T. You are pointing to a $50-retail box of which,
> according to your figures (higher ones are also published),
> half would be IP costs.

I think we're talking past one another. My point was only that if DVB-T
boxes have been sold at prices well below $100, and we've seen some
prices even below $50, then how do they do it? The IP fees in large part
apply to both.

> I point to readily available inexpensive analog TV sets,
> some of which currently retail for less than your IP costs.

And that will no doubt occur also in digital sets, but give it as much
time as analog TV have had. When do the patents expire, anyway? It's
taken so long for this transition that I was almost expecting the
patents to expire before OTA NTSC.