[opendtv] Re: Sinclair to test OFDM-DTV2 signal

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 20:02:57 -0800

Rotated constellations are optional in DVB-T2.

More details on the WNUV testing here:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/distribution/0099/details-on-wnuvs-experimental-license-to-test-ofdm/217889

Ron

On 2/21/2013 5:13 PM, Allen Le Roy Limberg wrote:
I believe mobile reception is not the primary interest in Sinclair
Broadcasting pursuing DVB-T2, which uses uses concatenated BCH and LDPC
coding earlier used by DVB for satellite transmissions.  If vehicular mobile
reception were of primary interest, the DVB-H standard that is being
abandoned in Europe for lack of commercial interest might be the better
choice. Although the code rate of DVB-H is appreciably lower than DVB-T2, it
appears to be substantially more rugged in regard to the burst noise and
signal drop-out conditions one expects for mobile reception in moving
vehicles.

One reason for looking more closely at COFDM is that its performance in
single-frequency networks can be appreciably better than single-carrier
broadcasting.

IMHO though, DVB-T2 is deeply flawed in its use of rotated QAM symbol
constellation techniques for its plural carriers. The gains noticed in such
practice are those attributable to transmitting the same information twice
with appreciable time-diversity. Rotation of QAM symbol constellations
reduces the size of data-slicing bins during QAM de-maping procedures,
however, which adversely affects performance at low carrier to AWGN ratios.

Single-time retransmission of non-rotated QAM symbol constellations is
preferable, since surprisingly it allows much larger digital payloads in
practice for given performance at low carrier to AWGN ratios.  This is
because larger QAM symbol constellations are feasible for a given bin size
for data-slicing, and the two-dimensionality of QAM is exploited.

Hopefully Sinclair Broadcasting engineers will look into this probable
shortcoming of DVB-T2.

Al Limberg