[opendtv] Re: Sinclair Launches Original Programming Division | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 08:29:49 -0400

> On Sep 5, 2014, at 10:00 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Really? Hundreds of millions of mobile devices can receive signals in the 600
> MHz spectrum?

Just a matter of time. The relatively short upgrade cycle for mobile devices
will deal with this in 2-3 years, when a viable service is created. Broadcaster
COULD choose a new standard and infrastructure that would get on this bandwagon.

>> The telcos will be free to deploy new spectrum efficiently,
>
> Again, not true. With use of LTE, it won't be spectral efficiency AT ALL that
> is gained. It will be ease of reception, if they use a dense mesh of towers
> in SFNs. Been over this too many times to count. Use less than dense SFNs,
> with LTE, and you're reducing b/s/Hz well below that of 8T-VSB. Use a single
> stick, well, ease of reception, with a tiny antenna, goes out the window.

Sorry. Broadcast LTE IS already being deployed through the cellular tower
infrastructure, and the telcos can roll this into their continuous upgrades.
Please see post about your comments to Mark about efficiency. Bits per HZ does
not measure the "value" of the service.

> If there's a threat to OTA broadcasting, it is that people are migrating
> either to Internet access or to access on demand from mobile devices. The use
> of one-way broadcasting will be increasingly limited to those programs that
> people really want live, rather than on demand. So, for broadcasters to
> create their own content seems like a really good idea, and also to gain an
> online presence. And the good news is, I think, that the 39 percent national
> cap does not apply to a station group making its content available online!

This is more logical thinking!

It follows on the logic behind the original post, praising Sinclair for
thinking outside the "broadcast box."