[opendtv] Re: Sinclair Launches Original Programming Division | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 02:00:11 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Now Mark tells us that competitors will use their political clout
> and established infrastructure to deploy a new broadcast standard
> that is compatible with the hundreds of millions of mobile devices
> that consumers use today.

Really? Hundreds of millions of mobile devices can receive signals in the 600
MHz spectrum?

> I was not able to read the entire paper that Mark cited, but one
> thing stands out in terms of optimization of the LTE-A / eMBMS
> technology. It appears to work better with wider bandwidth
> channels than those currently being used by broadcasters.

Sorry, Craig, but rubbish. It can work either way. Wide channels save a bit
from avoiding as many guardbands, and that's the extent of it.

> The telcos will be free to deploy new spectrum efficiently,

Again, not true. With use of LTE, it won't be spectral efficiency AT ALL that
is gained. It will be ease of reception, if they use a dense mesh of towers in
SFNs. Been over this too many times to count. Use less than dense SFNs, with
LTE, and you're reducing b/s/Hz well below that of 8T-VSB. Use a single stick,
well, ease of reception, with a tiny antenna, goes out the window.

If there's a threat to OTA broadcasting, it is that people are migrating either
to Internet access or to access on demand from mobile devices. The use of
one-way broadcasting will be increasingly limited to those programs that people
really want live, rather than on demand. So, for broadcasters to create their
own content seems like a really good idea, and also to gain an online presence.
And the good news is, I think, that the 39 percent national cap does not apply
to a station group making its content available online!