[opendtv] Re: Sinclair Launches Original Programming Division | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 01:16:05 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Clearly there would be different strategies in dense urban areas versus
> rural markets. But it is naive to think that broadcasters will be any
> more successful in getting TV tuners into mobile devices than they have
> been with ATSC 1.0 and it's mobile extensions.

Just as it is naïve to think that broadcsters can be successful at getting
their own LTE frequency bands in those same mobile devices.

> Gotta agree on this. The telcos have all the incentive they need to
> deploy LTE multicast/ broadcast. In fact they are already doing it.

But this is because they can choose when to use it, and when that spectrum is
better used for two-way communications.

Again, there are actually very few occasions, on any given day, when very
popular live programming merits use of LTE multicast/broadcast. A wireless
telco can adjust the way it is using its spectrum, to make any "offload" to
multicast/broadcast actually beneficial.

That's the difference, with broadcasters using their own LTE for purely
multicast/broadcast, as I think you're postulating. If broadcasters were to
convert their spectrum to LTE, and presumably use it only for broadcast
(because broadcasters are not wireless ISPs), they would (a) be really hard
pressed to equal the amount of program-carrying capacity they have now using
8T-VSB, and (b) they would not be able to efficiently use this spectrum for VOD
distribution, or other 2-way services, unless they become ISPs in their own
right.